Monday, July 7, 2008

...one year older and wiser too?...

i really love birthdays. that love leads to gratitude believe it or not. i'm a huge fan of a day set aside to celebrate the birth of a child of god. there is yummy cake, balloons, ice creams, friends, family, and not to mention presents. kidding. well sorta.

birthdays are a great time for reflection. that, for me, is what i am most grateful for. its a day that is set apart to really take inventory of your life. its a great time to evaluate the past year of your life, set goals for the next year in your life, and change. yes yes, i know most people do that during the new year's season. but birthdays are so much more personal. i mean the day is all about you. its not like a mass amount of people are all making the same "resolutions."

birthdays are always a very intimate experiences for me, at least for the past 3 or 4 years, as i have gotten older. my focus has changed from the cake and presents, to really a celebration of just being alive. to me its the best time to assess whether or not you are showing your gratitude for that life by the way you have lived the past year and what you are doing to get where you want to go (which i hope is of eternal consequence). and if you are celebrate it. if you aren't humble yourself, repent, and turn to the direction you need to be and celebrate that recognition.

its also just an opportune time to see the changes over your life in all aspects. its great to see how you have grown and changed; physically, emotionally, spiritually.

i am grateful for a day that is just for me. and i am grateful for a day that is set aside for each person that i love. and i'm grateful for another excuse to show my love and appreciation for myself, other people, and our creator during that day.

i hope that each of you, myself included, find ourselves both a year older and wiser too!

p.s. happy birthday tomorrow paige!


5 comments:

  1. Ooooo! Happy Birthday to you! What a nice surprise to see a comment from you on our blog! I hope that you were able to do something great on your birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deep stuff Jenn! Well Jackie called me to repentance for not having a link to your blog...sometimes I get way lazy on my blog and I think when you sent me the link to yours, it was one of those times!...Hence the caps!
    PS...I am not in love with the look of my blog but I will put you in contact with some awesome bloggers when you come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Great post. You have such concise and deep thoughts. I need to learn these skills! I'm still a blogging newb...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I feel dumb! :) Totally thought it was your birthday! Well, happy belated birthday then. . . from 4 months ago! I am laughing because I just re-read my comment. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, and I guess I missed the big, colorful birthday count down counter too. Nice.

    ReplyDelete