Thursday, July 3, 2008

...my two wholes that made me whole...

today i want to express my deep gratitude for my parents. my parents have taught me so much i don't even know where to begin. my dad has taught me how to manage money, be wise, calm, think it through, reasoning, logic, math, knowledge, patience, and so much more. my mom has taught me what it means to be creative, cook, clean, spend like a mad woman, decorate a room, be emotional, risk, and so much more.
both of my parents have taught me to be proud of who i am and the things that i do. they have each given me the best of who they are and i hope that i have taken those two pieces and made them proud with what i have done with them.
My mom and me at the Keukenhof in Holland

my dad has always been a silent foundation in my life. he silently guides and supports me. my mom has always been the verbal one. the one to loudly guide me and tell me what i should be doing. i don't always appreciate each of those completely different styles of parenting enough.
My Daddy and Me in Omaha

just the other day i broke down under the weight and pressure of having to move so quickly and taking on a not so ideal situation of employment and such. my dad was right there helping me through it. he just listened to me sob as i sat in the middle of the boxes and stuff that had to be put away in boxes. he offered a solution to the mass chaos and i appreciate it.
My birthday lunch at Claim Jumper

that same day my mom encouraged me to take a leap of faith and to do something that i have never done before. she expressed confidence in me and my ability to make a decision. that has been a rare occurrence, but for one that i am most grateful.
Daddy and Me sledding at Christmas!

dad. thank you again for your humor and your silliness. i don't think many people know that about you. thank you for teaching me to be self disciplined and to know when to walk away. thank you for teaching me how to conquer the battles that are deep within my soul on my own. thank you for teaching me to work hard and to take pride in my work. thank you for stretching me and pulling me to my potential. thank you for teaching me when to talk and when to hold my tongue (still working on that one (= ) thank you for teaching to me how to win without putting someone else down.

mom. thank you for teaching me how to be who you want to be without being ashamed of it. thank you for teaching me how to love other people. thank you for teaching me how to serve. mom, thank you for teaching me not to be afraid to say something when other people aren't speaking up. thank you for teaching me how to match and have an "eye" for certain things. thank you for fostering my "sense of fashion". thank you for letting me know that i am a "great catch." thank you for being a fighter. thank you for teaching me what it means to live with passion.

mom and dad i love you! and i hope that you are proud of me. thank you for loving and supporting me even when i didn't always make the best decision. thank you for my name and for the strength that i draw from it. thank you for seeking for the truth in your late teens and then sharing it with me. i am grateful to call you my parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment