Friday, April 4, 2008

...Operation Disinfect ....

it is about that time... its time for Operation Disinfect to commence...

this past week has brought the need for not only a very literal but also a figurative need for a "disinfecting" process to take place.

the personal operation isn't as clear to me at the moment, but a purging of hope will need to happen first, then the operation will really take place of ridding myself of the "disease" we call... "true love."


as to the literal operation... it has just begun. My bath tub is currently being used to sanitize all the math manips from my classroom. yes, there are floating connector blocks and geo blocks. Ha.


So why this massive mission?!? Well this week my classroom has seem to turn into a pool of germs! here is how it has all kind of panned out over the week....

Monday- is just Monday-a day this week that I would like to forget... (personal)
Tuesday- G threw up all over the rug while we were singing the Star Spangled Banner! What a way to start off the day after the night from hell.
I also got an email from C's Mom to tell me that she thinks she has hand, foot, and mouth. look it up. its not fun. I only had 14 kids today (7 were absent)
Wednesday- B's Mom comes in to tell me that he has the chicken pox or something like it since he's been vaccinated. And that each child that attended his birthday party on friday is at risk. Oh yay. So 5 kids from our class went to his party. 1 is absent as well and has the same thing. BUT she came to school with all the sores and may have given it to more people! I had 15 today (6 absent).
Thursday- K and C have viral infections. One is a rash and the other is contained in her eye. Lovely. They are at school today. G is back. But T's mom called while i was at walmart getting ready to go to europe to tell me that T has bumps all over his stomach and back. and tells me with a tone that i should have noticed the bumps..."alright kids welcome back from recess please lift your shirts and let Miss Lee look at your stomachs and backs..." Yeah, no. I'd get fired or something for that....
Friday- T now has full blown chicken pox. I saw him today out in the jeep. poor little guy. I had to send a letter home notifying parents of the "epidemic" in our room. I also am told by the mom that i have to tell parents that their kid cant come to school. and this that and the other thing. oh and did i mention that A decided to pee behind the guided reading table while i was at a grade level meeting during lunch.

So my room is just a flowing river of disease and germs! lol. All the pencils went in the trash and all the crayons. They needed to be changed anyway. All the toys that had been played with are being soaked in bleach. And i sprayed down the desks and chairs. I am so tired! oh and i almost forgot the lice "epidemic" we had... TWICE this year! yup TWICE!

If it wasn't enough to have a huge load of personal "stuff" to have to deal with... i now have all this to deal with too. Parents calling me wondering what i'm doing to keep their kid "healthy and safe," parents calling to subtly tell me that its our classroom that gave it to them, and then parents who know their children are sick and let them play with other kids and don't bother to tell me.

This wouldn't be so hard or that big of a deal if it just came at a different time in my life. I know that this is life and that I should just deal with it. and I am, the best i can. it just goes to show that when it rains it pours it seems like.

the moral(s) of the story:
  • (the personal ones will stay just that, personal)
  • DON'T LET YOUR CHILD COME TO SCHOOL IF THEY ARE SICK, EVEN IF YOU AREN'T SURE. ERROR ON THE SIDE OF CAUTION.
  • DON'T PUT YOUR HANDS IN YOUR MOUTH, NOSE, PANTS, ETC.
  • DON'T PUT YOUR HANDS IN YOUR MOUTH, NOSE, PANTS, ETC. AND THEN TOUCH SOMEONE ELSE
  • DON'T TAKE IT PERSONAL, ITS NOT YOUR FAULT THAT SOME KIDS ARE CLEANER THAN OTHERS
  • LIFE'S TOUGH, GET A HELMET
Smile... operation disinfect is underway... cross your fingers it will be a success!

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Don't you just LOVE 1st grade :) I feel for you, and am very glad that I haven't had any "breakouts" yet. I hope I can stay clear for the rest of the school year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the best part is that we had an "out break" of lice earlier in the year too because the parents decided not to tell anyone... lovely!

    ReplyDelete