Tuesday, October 13, 2009

our beginning: his

Here is his version of how we met. It can also be found on our wedding site:
the beginning: his

the beginning: his story

My side of the story…

There I was breaking my neck trying to keep up with all the new names being read over the pulpit. You see, the first Sunday of a new ward is like a squirrel in the fall gathering his winter’s supply of acorns…it’s nuts! Prime scheming time. There had to have been 50 names read that day. For those of you that have ever been in that situation before you know how awkward it can be to be introduced in front of 300 people…inner monologue ‘Smile. Don’t make eye contact with anybody, especially Cute Girl sitting next to Handsome Guy. Hands in the pockets or at my side? In the pockets for sure. Take a quick peek at Cute Girl, check Handsome Guy, sup dude. I wonder if the people behind me have noticed my male patterned baldness. Okay pal read the next name already!’ But how entertaining it is when you’re not the one being introduced! I couldn’t keep up with how many there were. Every guy knows that’s the time to scope out the babes without being too obvious. After about 25 names and feeling like I was center court at Wimbledon, this cute little Asian girl stood up named Lee. With a flower in her hair she smiled, that was it. I didn’t catch her last name but I didn’t care. I knew all I needed to know. Lee was cute and she was the one.

It would take me a few weeks to muster up the courage to talk to her. I remember one night pointing her out to one of my friends, ‘there’s that cute little Asian girl, I think her name is Lee.’ He told me that if I didn’t go talk to her, he would. Something about the thought of approaching her made me nervous. I didn’t want to mess up my chances by saying something stupid. Finding the right opportunity was the hard part. She was always talking to guys, always. Not just one, but two or three at a time.

My ‘right’ opportunity came during a game of knockout. She was towards the back of the line and her arms were full of mixing bowls, if any of you reading this know Jen that shouldn’t come as a surprise. Without even thinking of anything to say after, I stuck out my hand and said ‘Hi. I’m Bryan.’ Now this was stupid for 3 reasons. 1. Her arms were full which made it difficult to shake my hand. 2. Who shakes hands? 3. I was in the middle of an intense game of knockout, nearly lost my place in line, and pretty much just left her hanging as I got back in the game. I know you’re thinking ‘heaven forbid you lose your spot in a knockout line for talking to the girl of your dreams!’ Come on, I’m pretty competitive as Jen can attest. I’m still working on that…Needless to say that didn’t make me feel like I made a good first impression and I drove home that night convinced that I had blown it.

After a few random but seemingly pre-planned sightings I started to regain my confidence in talking to the cute little Asian girl. The brief moments we had let me know that I still had a chance with her. I wanted to ask Jen out and I knew I had to do it quick. The problem was how.

I was under a lot of pressure from the other woman in my life, my mother. It was Christmas time and I wanted to host a dinner party for my friends and the Santa’s Little Helper of their choice. For two weeks straight my mom and I did something every day like working on the menu, decorating, and ironing the table cloths. She goes all out. Putting so much time into party prep I had neglected all social activities and had still not asked Jen to be my little helper. I was warned if I didn’t ask her soon then I might be too late.

I found out Miss Lee was going to a certain Classy Christmas party and thought that would provide a great opportunity to ask her. So I did all could to look classy and headed to the party. I wasn’t quite sure how I was going to ask her out and it was making me kind of nervous, especially when I found out she was running late. I just wanted to get it over with! My friends wanted to leave but Jen still hadn’t shown up and I couldn’t let another day go without asking her. Enter Christmas Wish List. On the back wall of the party hung a giant wish list upon which several people had written out there heart’s desires to be wrapped up under the tree. I grabbed a marker and went to town, ‘Dear Santa, All I want for Christmas is a date with Jen Lee!’ and included my phone number instead of my name. Suspense! I was quite proud of my wish and anxiously awaited the response.

Merry Christmas! She said yes!

The next six days were a very long six days. Garland strung with lights and cranberries in vases occupied any and all free time. I just wanted to see Jen. I knew she liked to cook so I asked her to come over the night before to help. It was great and only made me more excited for the dinner party. Jen gives great details about the food prep night and the party so I’ll spare you the repetition. The party was fantastic, no detail went unnoticed, and the date…well, let’s just say Christmas came a few days early last year!

2 comments: